This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

More NOLA Yarn

In the novel, Dune, by Frank Herbert, the young Paul Atreides speaks with the Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Moiaham about previous men who tried to become the Kwisatch Haderach, asking, "They tried and failed?"
And the Reverend Mother cackles and replies, "They tried and died."

Okay, I didn't die, but I tried and failed. I had read that there was another yarn store in the area, and after checking Google maps, learnt that Bornside Yarns is but a six minute walk away from the B&B where I am staying. Since the website had not been updated since listing the Thanksgiving weekend hours (closed Thursday through Sunday, open on Monday this week), I had to rely on common sense. No hours or phone number were listed, but being of sound Calvinist mind ("Keep your shop and your shop will keep you"), I reckoned the store would be open at 10:00 AM. So I left the B&B at five minutes to 10:00, and arrived at the store front at 10:06 (they weren't lying about that six minute walk!). If I had arrived on any day but Wednesday, my Calvinist instinct would have been correct. However, the shop opens at noon on Wednesdays. O Spite! O Hell!

 I looked in the windows, but didn't see much. But I think (and I could be wrong), that the shop extends to the back of the building. I didn't see much yarn in the window, but if there is a back, and hope springs eternal, I'll be adding to my stash! I'll try to visit later today or tomorrow.




******************************************************************************

Currently on the needles, I have two projects in Juniper Moon Moonshine (40% merino, 40% wool, 20% silk). The yarn is gorgeous, if a bit splitty. The green is a feather and fan scarf for my niece. I'm past the half-way point, but have put it aside for a bit of respite. While I love the way feather and fan looks, it can become a bit boring after a while to work on.

The blue project is my interpretation of the Grace Jones Cowl. The original pattern called for fat yarn on US 11 needles, casting on 48 stitches. I'm using a worsted weight, so I cast on 100 stitches, on US 7 needles. I'm working nine rows in each section, and  I'm at about 8.5 inches of fabric. I am really liking the way it is coming along.

I will be making one more of these cowls, in purple Moonshine yarn, since these are going to a pair of sisters. It's a rather meditative pattern to work on. 

I am no longer convinced that I'll finish all my projects in time for the holidays. But I'll keep trying and will do my best to prove myself wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment