This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Friday, December 19, 2014

The Most Glorious Place

I am going to Northampton, MA this weekend! O Joy! O Sublime! We're going to hear a concert by the Nields, a pair of sisters who sing contemporary folk music and who have awesome and tight harmonies (you can youtube some of their music here). And while we were in Noho, we figured we'd stop by Webs, America's yarn store. Normally, it's closed on Sundays, but I know that it is open on Sundays before Christmas. Except the last Sunday before Christmas. The day we'll be in Noho. So thinking I'd be going to Webs, at first I was like,

You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light
Keep straight ahead for the most glorious place
On the face of the earth or the sky
Hold onto your breath
Hold onto your heart
Hold onto your hope
March up to the gate and bid it open
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light
March up to the gate and bid it open, open*

But then I was like, 
§


I guess I won't be going to "the most glorious place."

Well, worse things have happened to nicer people.

Knitting continues apace for the holidays. I do not think I'll get anything out on time. I just washed and wet-blocked the last honey cowl this morning. If it is dry by tomorrow, I'll wrap it and pop it in the mail to my friend in Texas, and hope beyond hope that it gets there in time. I cannot for the life of me find my knitting bag, with all my stitch markers, stitch holders, scissors, and most importantly, T-pins, with which I could block my niece's feather-and-fan scarf. I may need to send it to her unblocked. I might be able to block it at my LYS tonight, and if I can, I'll have to scurry like a bunny tomorrow to pick it up, wrap it, and get it and her brother's scarf in the mail (tomorrow I also have a Chanukkah party, a Christmas party, and a late-night cookie party; will this endless round of frivolity never end?) so it reaches them in time for Christmas morning.

Like I said, worse things have happened to nicer people.

Thanks to knitting maven Claudia, I learnt how to unbind the bind-off of the teal/blue Grace Jones cowl, and have started lengthening it. I have five more rows to go before I can bind off again. I'm not too worried about this one, since I won't need it til January, but I like to keep knitting. Tonight, after I finish it, I'll cast on yet another cowl, the Ombre cowl, in mink. I've never knit with mink before, and I'm looking forward to it. It will be a gradient cowl, holding two strands of Colour 1, then one strand each of Colour 1 and 2, then two strands of Colour 2, through to Colour 3. I'm going monochromatic, with grey, white, and black, since the person it is for likes that sort of thing. I might substitute a light brown for the black, but we'll see.



*Optimistic Voices, from the Wizard Of Oz, 1939
§ The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment