This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Tortellini

One of my favourite cartoons ever was Calvin and Hobbes, by Bill Watersen. Of all the ones he drew when he was still drawing C&H, this has always been my favourite:

I like it because this was me as a child. Afraid to try something because I might not like it.
Operative word: might.

I am sometimes like this when it comes to knitting. I look at the picture of a beautiful pattern and I think, "Wow, that's so cool, I'd like to make that for someone." Then I read the pattern and discover there is a particular stitch I don't know how to do, and rather than asking someone's help, or looking up a video on the internet, I determine that I don't know how to do this, so I can never do this, and so, lovely pattern be damned, I'll never make it.

I have a lot of patterns in my collection that I've determined I'll  never be able to make.

So, one of my New Year's resolutions is to learn how to do stitches I don't know how to do. Little things, like knitting through the back. If I am unable to do it on the internet, then I'll ask one of the many knitting mavens I know. I refuse to be limited in my knitting any longer.

Oh, crap. I guess this extends to learning to read charts. There are a lot of things I'd like to make that are only charted, but I've never really learnt the secrets of charts (yes, I can read Hebrew and Arabic, and I can puzzle my way through Cyrillic alphabets, but knitting charts just stymie me). Le sigh. I think I have a steep learning curve ahead of me next year.

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful your next year will be! Long time ago I decided to always have a challenging project on my needles, something where I would have to learn a new technique. And I'm still learning :) A resolution like yours opens up endless possibilities in your knitting, not to mention the heartwarming awe of less experienced knitters ;). I'm looking forward to your posts on your educational journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm trying to learn to be more open to the possibilities of what I can do with needles and yarn. Let's see what I can come up with.

      Delete
  2. What a great resolution! May I suggest a stitch-a-day calendar? I found that it really helped me expand my repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen, I have a stitch-a-day calendar, which, unfortunately, packed away. But when it sees the light of day again, I'll make good use of it!
      Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete