This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Webs Yarn Carnage! Sort Of

I made it to Webs today, one last HURRAH! of seeing America's Yarn Store®. It's not like I need more yarn, but they are having their end-of-year sale. But it's the end of the month, a month in which presents were bought! ONOES! It means (cue sad trombone) that I can't spend too much money! Oh well, I don't need to buy that much yarn!

My friend Huw (also known as Hugh or Jay, take your pick) picked me up at 9:20, and we were off to the races! Huw drives a big white Landrover, with butt-warmers in the seats, so we were quite comfy in what he calls the Rolling Living Room. Traffic wasn't too bad, and we made it to Webs only four minutes after the GPS estimated for us. Not too shabby.

The store was busy, but not crazy busy. I saw my friend Alyssa who works at Webs, and at one point, we had enough time to have an actual conversation. It was good to catch up with her, since I hadn't seen her in almost four years.

So, the yarn I bought today.
Some gorgeous Madeline Tosh, in colourway Forestry. I would like to make another Honey Cowl (I know I said I didn't ever want to make another one, but I'm thinking at least two, maybe four more) for my niece, who likes the colour green.

Some Takhi Classic Cotton, since I want to try to make some wash cloths this year.

Zen Yarn Garden puts out this wonderful Serenity DK yarn, 90% superwash merino and 10% cashmere. It's 250 yards, and I need to make something lovely with it. This was the only one in this colourway, Wild Berry, so I might need to scour Ravelry to find at least one more skein. A cowl, perhaps, or something special for someone special.

Finally, in the warehouse, Kollage Yarns, Solace. It's 70% alpaca and 30% silk. I'm thinking a sweater. I got 17 skeins, so I should be able to make something warm. The colour is more of a steel grey, though it looks black in this picture. 

These were all the yarns I got. I tried hard to buy things that I wanted to make things with, rather than buying gorgeous yarn with no idea of what I wanted to do with it (okay, I did that with the Zen Garden, but it's soooo pretty!). 

My friend Huw bought me a magnet for my refrigerator! I think every yarn whore needs one!

In all, a very satisfying end-of-year trip to Webs!

No comments:

Post a Comment