This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Some Cowls

Today is 16 December. It is the first night of Chanukkah (chag same'ach!) and I just bought the last gifts that are not knitting for friends this evening. It's a good feeling that all the knitting and shopping is at last done. Not including the stuff I need to finish for our January reunion (still knitting-knitting-knitting for that!), I have made six Honey Cowls, 3 Irish Hiking Scarves, 3 scarves I'm calling the Grid Pattern, and two feather-and-fan scarves.

Whew! No wonder I'm knackered!

These are the Honey Cowls I was able to manage. I had originally wanted to make 12 of them, but wisely stopped at six. I'd gotten quite tired of the pattern at this point. I still want to finish them out, but that might wait til next year.
The five on the left are Madeline Tosh: Tart, Betty Draper's Blues, Huechera, Cove, and Burnished. The one of the far right is tussah silk, purchased at The Artful Ewe, in Port Gamble, WA. Of all these cowls, four were knit with stash yarn! That was one of my goals this year, and with this particular project, I think I did OK.

Some close ups of a couple of them.

Burnished

Cove

Tussah Silk

While the pattern itself is easy, I found that I spent an inordinate amount of time knitting these. I'm glad I'm done for a while with them. There are other, interesting and fun projects I've got in mind for the first few months of the new year. These include the Deathflake as a double knit scarf, the Red Dragon Beanie, the Ferrous Wrap, and maybe even some Fleur de lys patterns!

No comments:

Post a Comment