This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A Time to Knit, a Time to Purl

The book of Ecclesiastes teaches us, "For everything there is a season, and time for every matter under heaven." I have my own version of this passage that follows this lovely introduction:
A time to cast on, and a time to bind off; a time to knit, and a time to purl;
a time to choose yarn, and a time to put yarn away.
A time to knit quietly, and a time to hurl the knitting across the room.
A time to go with the flow, and a time to panic.

I am at the point of panic right now. I have completed the last project I need to have finished before Christmas. I still have three more cowls, a scarf, and most of a sweater to complete by mid January. I still have three scarves to block.  And all of it has to be wrapped and mailed so that it arrives in various locations around the country before the Big Day. And I still have most of last year's wrapping paper! I'm so frugal!

Of course, I have not completed a small list of things I wanted to complete. There were originally 12 Honey Cowls, not a mere six. I wanted to make a vest instead of a cowl for someone. And I am not certain now I will get the sweater I've got going completed. It's bigger than I thought it would be. Who knew that a 6'5" man would need so much knitting to make just the back panel of a sweater!

But I do have some complete projects.
The last of the Honey Cowls is finished. Madeline Tosh Vintage (rather than the prescribed DK), in Tart. I really like the way it came out. I just need to sew in the loose ends.

Feather and fan, in Juniper Moon's Moonshine. Deep pine green. I need to sew in the loose ends.

Now, on to the Grace Jones Cowl, which I have not touched in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment