This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Raiding My Stash

Along with vowing to knit up abandoned projects (three so far, and we're still in January!), I am also vowed to start knitting my stash. I keep thinking about taking yarn out of the bins, and assigning a project to it, knitting it up, and. . . giving it away. I keep almost none of the things I knit. Because, really, what am I going to do with a lace shawl or cowl? And seriously, how many hats and scarves do I need? (I am mindful of a line from Absolutely Fabulous, "You can never have too many hats, gloves, and shoes.")

I am actually quite surprised at how reluctant I am to raid my stash. I think of the beautiful yarns I have lying in all those bins, and think that once it's knit up, it's gone. It's no longer a part of my stash. And it is likely that I'll never have that recipe agaiiiiin! yarn ever again. I feel like I'm giving away a part of myself. I am my stash, and my stash is me.

I have promised a friend that I would make her a scarf, and I have the perfect yarn for this particular project. It's a hand dyed set of skeins from Barbara Parry at Foxfire Fiber and Designs. It's been in my stash since I bought it at the Webs Tent Sale from Barbara's tent, on my birthday in 2012, and I've thought about knitting it, but never had a project that quite suited it. Now that I know how to make a Noro Striped Scarf (thank you, Brooklyn Tweed), I reckon I can do the same with this, without changing skeins every other row. Knit it up in a 1x1 rib, so that it looks like stockinette, but doesn't curl, and displays the absolutely gorgeous colours of this yarn.

The colour is Nightshade, and I am going to ball it and start knitting it today. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment