This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Forever Yarn: This Year's Haul

I meant to post this yesterday, but there was so much to do. I'm in Pennsylvania, visiting friends for our annual Pushing Fifty Party and HDS Reunion. We made it to Doylestown, I made it to Forever Yarn, and discovered I'd left my wallet at home. Luckily, my very beloved friend Libby offered to buy my yarn (she warned me she was putting limits on my purchases, not because she's cheap, but because she doesn't want to enable my yarn whoredom). The very delightful Yan, owner of Forever Yarn, was not working, since she was at the Vogue Knitting in New York. I was very disappointed not to see her, but I assuaged my dissapointement with some fine yarn.

Since I did not want to put too big a dent into Libby's wallet, I limited myself to only four skeins, though there were several others I wanted to buy. But I practiced restraint, moderation, and good sense. I discovered that MadelineTosh is now making a chunky yarn. Why didn't I know this already? There was only one colour in the bin, Robin Red Breast, but I will look around and see if I can find chunky Smokestack, because it would make a wicked awesome hat or scarf.

This is the MadelineTosh Chunky.
I'm not usually given to reds, but this really appealed to me. I like it because it's muted, and there's a hint of blackness to it.

Neighborhood Fibers has some really beautiful yarns. This is a laceweight, and the colour is Randall Circle (all the yarns are named after neighbourhoods in and around Washington, DC). I was hoping to find a red skein, for a specific project, but there wasn't any. There were other colours that appealed to me, but this was the one I settled on.

Finally, two skeins of mink. I've never seen mink yarn before, and this stuff is soft, softer than alpaca.
Mimi Lotus Yarns from China, in a deep blue. I've never seen this brand before, and never this fibre. It looks like a fingering weight, and each skein is about 315 yards. Might become a shawl(ette) for someone. I'm looking forward to knitting it up.

Next year I hope Yan will be at the store. I really missed seeing her. And next year, I won't forget my wallet, so I can do a bit more damage and increase my yarn stash. Even though I'm not really buying rogue yarn this year.

Yeah, right.

No comments:

Post a Comment