This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Greater Boston Yarn Crawl, part the second

On Sunday, my friends Hugh and Nicole met up with me for some Yarn Crawling Whoring! We weren't sure how many places we'd hit up, but we figured we'd get to three or four. Seven stores later, we were exhausted, broke, and very, very happy.

The first place we hit was In Stitches & The Threaded Needle in Weston. A lovely little shop with lots of gorgeous yarn and canvasses for needlepoint (some day I'd like to learn needlepoint; there was an awesome Chinese dragon canvass, for only $950!). I did something I've never done before: I bought a kit for making a cowl. By buying the kit, I saved about $100 on yarn, since I only needed a half skein of each colour. And there are 10 colours to knit with this cowl.
The kit was short one colour of yarn, but the store took my name and address and will send me the missing skein as soon as they get it in stock. I'm excited about this, since I want to make it for my niece, who is going to college up in the NY snowbelt.
Since the niece's favourite colour is green, I thought this might make a decent scarf for he r for Christmas. Juniper Moon Farm, Moonshine is 40% wool, 40% alpaca, and 20% silk. This colour is Forest.

Our next stop was The Iron Horse, in Natick. Our intrepid driver, Hugh, got the Doris Day spot, right in front of the door!
Hugh's Landrover, parked right in front of the Iron Horse.

We got there, but the Closed sign was on the door. We decided to go across the street for some grub, but while admiring all the pretty stuff in the window, the owner flipped the sign and opened the store for us. What a lovely store! I only wish I'd found it sooner! The owner, Deborah, owns a farm with alpacas, sheep, two kinds of fibre goats, and bunnies. She puts out her own Brand of hand dyed yarn, from her own beasties. I will definitely be returning to this place! Oh, and this afternoon, while thinking about this blog post, I got a call that I'd won one of the door prizes, which turns out to be a sweater's worth of Lamb's Pride yarn! Hugh said he'll fetch it for me and bring it to knit night on Friday.

 These four skeins of Malabrigo are either for me or for my friends Maddy and Gracie, a couple of sisters of my acquaintance who are wonderful and who know how to take care of knitted things.

This is one of Iron Horse's own yarns. I'm thinking this would make a great cowl for my niece, in the avaElongated pattern (see Ravelry) by Jenny Sorensen.

After the Iron Horse, we had some lunch, and I cannot for the life of me remember the order in which we visited various yarn stores (I suppose I could check the time stamps on all the receipts. . .). So because I have already taken pictures of it, I'll go next to Island Yarn Company. Small store which packs a huge wallop! Another store I'd never visited before, and plan to visit again. They have their own line of yarns, and of course I bought some!
This is one of their own yarns, the colours really appeal to me! 


More Juniper Moon Farm, Moonshine! I have in mind something for Gracie and Maddy. It is obvious how much I like these young women (they're both in high school), since I'm buying multiple skeins of yarn for them!

There were more yarn stores and more skeins of yarn. I'll post more about the Greater Boston Yarn Crawl later, in parts the third and maybe the fourth!

No comments:

Post a Comment