This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Feeling Overwhelmed

I finished a project yesterday morning. Brandon's Irish Hiking Scarf in Mad Tosh Scarlet. It looks good, and I just need to block it. So I needed to cast on another project. I want to make a cabled scarf for Julie, and I have this wonderful handspun/hand dyed purple yarn, so after perusing Ravelry, found a cable scarf pattern, Palindrome, that shows cables on both sides. I'm not sure if this is the right yarn for it, but I'm going to keep knitting for a while. I love the IHS, but it has a wrong side that is just not pretty. If I can find something that looks good with cables on both sides, I'll be happy.
This was taken right before I finished it. The ends are all woven in, and it's ready to block.

This morning I didn't want to work on any of the projects I've already started. I think I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by what I want to accomplish by the end of the year. Which meant that I simply had to start a new project, and start it NOW! I couldn't find the yarn I wanted, a deep black undyed alpaca, but I did find the yarn I just got in New Orleans! Fat yarn! Fat needles! Things knit up so fast with that combination. So I cast on a few stitches and knit 10 rows. I am knitting it with beautiful needles that were made by my friend Joe. Joe is married to my friend Sue, whom I've known since I was 15, back in high school. I officiated at their wedding, and Sue's oldest is my god-daughter. I officiated at her wedding, too. These needles, size US 13, are wooden, smooth, and warm to the touch. I love using them. I felt quite overwhelmed this morning, knitting something for someone I love, using tools made by someone I love. I almost never use straight needles these days, preferring circulars for just about everything, but it is somehow very fitting that these needles are making this particular gift.

Malabrigo Rasta yarn on home-made needles

Something that has made me laugh today is the way a friend stores is yarn from past projects.
Hollow glass heads make wonderful places to store yarn


No comments:

Post a Comment