This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Fibre Festivals, Near and Far

I have discovered a new reason to despise Facebook: Fibre Festivals. Thanks to FB (and the fact that I liked a certain home-dyer's yarn page), I have been learning about more and more fibre festivals. Dammit! I'm supposed to be decreasing my stash, not going to Fibre Festivals and adding more yarn (and more bins of yarn) to my collection.

Bloody hell.

  • First we have the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Festival in May.
  • Then there's something I just found out about, the Fiber Revival Festival, in Newbury, MA, in August.
  • Of course there is New York State Sheep and Wool Festival, more commonly known as Rhinebeck. That is probably the Grand-Daddy of all fibre fests, certainly the largest of all the ones I've been to so far (not that I've been to all that many of them).
  • And there is the Fiber Festival of New England, in November, in West Springfield, MA. I learned about this one when I bought some yarn from a vendor at a farmer's market in Provincetown last week, innocently picking up the flier for it when I took her card.
I'm sure with my amazing Google-fu I could find more fibre festivals up and down the east coast (I know there is a biggie in Marlyland in May), or even just New England and New York. Hell, with this little website, Knitter's Journey, one can discover knitters' retreats, fibre festivals, knitters' cruises not only on the east coast, but all over the US and in other countries, too (knitting retreats in Ireland and France, the Woolfest in the United Kingdom, the Australian Sheep and Wool Fest in Victoria! Quick, check those frequent flier miles!).

I doubt very much I'll make it to the UK or Australia for the next sheep and wool festivals. But I think I'll at least make it to Rhinebeck this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment