This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Friday, July 4, 2014

Clara Yarn

There are days when I just want to bang my head against a brick wall in frustration.
Not because my lace knitting has gone awry.
Not because I have no place in my entire apartment to set up my swift and winder.
Not because I have nine more cowls to knit, plus several scarves and a sweater, all in six months and still have to do things like go to work and do laundry.

No, but because I just discovered someplace that makes what is, essentially, artisan yarn. It is produced in very small batches, and according to the website, "when it's gone, it's gone."

The stuff is Clara Yarn. Clara Parkes wrote The Knitter's Book of Yarn, and The Knitter's Book of Wool (both of which I have). She knows her stuff. If you go to her website, you will discover that you can sign up to be notified when she has yarn available, and you will also learn that she currently doesn't have any yarn available. Truly, it is produced in small batches, and when it is gone, it's really gone.

Of course I subscribed; I want to know when there is more yarn in the offing. I'll buy it sight unseen. I learned about this yarn from reading Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's blog, The Yarn Harlot. So I guess I can blame her if I decide to buy some of this stuff when it becomes available.

I am not running down yarns that are produced in big batches (how else could you make a sweater that takes 12 skeins?), but I'm really intrigued by this idea of producing an extremely limited amount of yarn and not repeating its run again. I think my stash would be enhanced by the addition of Clara Yarn. I will definitely keep my eye open for when she has more available, and buy some. Hell, I might even knit it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment