This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Yarn Harlot!

Last night I made my way to the Brookline Booksmith (about 8 subways stops from my place) to see and hear Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, the Yarn Harlot. She has just released a new book, The Amazing Thing About the Way it Goes, which is not about knitting, but which is about other aspects of life. I've got several of her books, enjoy her humour, and even though this book is not about knitting, I very much enjoyed it (yes, I have already read it: I bought it on Sunday in anticipation of this event).

Not only did she read one of the chapters that I really liked (about when the underneath of her front porch was invaded by a skunk), but she read it in such a way that anytime I read her stuff I'll hear her voice (and yes, she has a strong Canadian accent). She also revealed the three cities in North America where she will never visit again, because something humiliating happened there. Those cities happen to be Memphis, Pittsburgh, and Calgary, and the retelling of these stories had many of us in tears, we were laughing so hard.

I picked up a copy of Knitting Rules, and asked her to sign that, along with the new one, and one I had at home, All Wound Up. I do like having signed books.
Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, signing one of my books.

I wonder if she knows how lovely her smile is?

Waiting for my book.

The Yarn Harlot with the Yarn Whore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment