This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

WIP Wednesday

I left my computer at a friend's house the other night, and that night I had an inspiration for a blog post. Sadly, that inspiration is now in the dust.

But I'll try anyway.

I'm in the throes of making a lace shawl, with lace weight yarn on US 4 needles. I have stated that making lace gives me fits. This project is not different. It might be the way the pattern is written, with the last stitch on the line below (I often miss it). And you know, counting is hard! But I persevere. I find that my hands get very tense and sore after doing a single repeat of the pattern, which is only five rows, and two of those are all purls, but still, I find it more challenging than I like to admit. And of course I've signed up for a knit along for another shawl (which I might turn into a scarf for a man (it has a Dr Who theme)). But my friend Libby H. patiently encourages me, helps me fix mistakes, and generally keeps me sane.
It doesn't look like much, but then most lace doesn't while it's still on the needles and before it's blocked.

I'm still flogging away at the honey cowls. I've just attached the second skein of yarn to the third cowl, which is looking pretty damn fabulous. Betty Draper's Blues is probably my favourite colourway from Tosh, followed by Fathom, and then everything else. I'm wondering how one of the more colourful Malabrigo yarns would look as a honey cowl. Must keep that in mind.
I'm sure that anyone reading this is as tired of honey cowls as I am. OK, I'm not tired of them (yet), but probably will be long before I reach number 12.

I currently have three projects on the needles that I'm hard at work on. The lace shawl and honey cowl mentioned above, and an Irish Hiking Scarf in Tosh Scarlet. (It really should be Scarlet!)
I should make on of these for myself some day. I like the pattern, and this is the fifth time I've cast it on.

It is my determination to work on each of these projects every day. I want to do one iteration of the shawl pattern every day. I want to do several iterations of the pattern on the scarf. And I want to finish as many rows on the cowl as humanly possible. Channeling Bob the Builder, "Can he do it? Yes he can!"

Probably.
Maybe.
I don't think so.
But I'll give it a helluva try.

No comments:

Post a Comment