This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Spinning In Place

My friend Jay is a very accomplished fibre worker. He spins, weaves, knits, and sews. He owns three or four spinning wheels (and about 10+ drop spindles), and offered to help me learn how to spin on my spinning wheel. I haven't touched it since I brought it home over a year ago, and I would like to learn how to spin.

So I got my wheel, an Ashford Traditional, and carried it to the green line, transferred to the red line, enduring stares and odd looks from other people on the subway. While I was waiting for the red line, I started singing to myself.
"And spindle, bobbin, and. . . spool. . . away."

I had left the fly wheel at home, along with the bobbin and spindle. The wheel was as useless as a fur on a fish. I was carrying my spinning wheel for nothing.

I can be so clueless sometimes.

Luckily, Jay had a wheel I could use. I tried, and came up with a hot mess of spun yarn. I can't coordinate my hands to pull the roving and to squeeze the fibre and to treadle at an even pace. Even though I can dance at a 140 bpm with rapper swords, I am not coordinated enough to spin.

Oh, the humanity.

Jay suggested I try a drop spindle, to learn how to pull the roving. He loaned me a couple to try from his vast collection of spindles, and I'll give it a try this week. I will learn how to do this. I will become a proficient spinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment