This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Of Ice, Knitting, Zip-loc Baggies, and Christmas Ornaments

I slipped on the ice, and severely sprained my right wrist.
My dominant hand is my right hand.
This means that I cannot do a lot of things with ease and élan that I normally do.

Like knit.

I tried to knit today, and while I was able to knock off a couple or 150 stitches, it hurt. Badly. Enough that I eventually stopped because I thought I wasn't doing myself or my healing any good. The really ironic part of this is that I took up knitting in a serious way after I broke my leg in 2005 (after slipping on ice) because my orthopædist suggested that I take up knitting or crochet or fancy work, because one could not watch TV all day. Or read, because I haven't owned a TV since 1979.

And now I can't knit. Well, not without pain. And knitting shouldn't cause pain. It should result in wicked awesome hand made goodies that you can give to the people you love. So this sucks.

So while I convalesced at home today, I got the new zip-loc (™) baggies to hold all my yarn that I have been acquiring. I say "acquiring" because I promised myself that I wouldn't go wild with yarn buying this year, seeing that I've got more than I can possibly knit up within the next 10 years. But none of it is really "free-range-yarn," or yarn that was purchased without a project and recipient in mind. Except for the other two skeins of Tosh Vintage Fathom I found (I've got four skeins!) and that extra London Blue Baah skein I found (honestly, I only remember buying one of them; where did the second skein come from?). I now need to clear all the Christmas ornaments out of the bin where they're residing (still in the bags from the stores whence they came) and use that bin for yarn. The ornaments can go someplace else. I'm not sure why or where all these ornaments have come from, since I've not put up a Christmas tree since 2008. Why am I buying Christmas ornaments when I don't put up a tree, and when the money can obviously be used to buy more yarn, instead?

Since I will probably spend at least one more day convalescing, my chores, if I can do them, because lifting things is hard, and having to rely on my non-dominant hand is unnatural, include:
1. Find someplace safe for all these ornaments (I really like the Buddha one, and the lumberjack is really rockin'!)
2. Move the newly-bagged yarn into its new home (ie., the bin that is currently occupied by ornaments)
3. Somehow lift the bin to the top of the Wall o' Yarn (my collection of stacked bins, each filled to the brim with yarn goodness)
4. Collapse in total exhaustion, and have a bit of cognac to soothe my nerves, if not my aching wrist

I think I can handle all that.

2 comments:

  1. Um, if you don't want that second skein of Baah! London Blue, I will buy it off you. I'm not joking. That yarn does something to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure I will find a use for it. I was just amazed that I'd forgotten that I'd bought two skeins of it, and couldn't remember buying the first!

      Delete