This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Towers of Bins of Yarn

I know I've complained about my stash a lot. I know it is out of control (meaning, my yarn buying habits are out of control), but I thought I had only twelve bins of yarn.

I have thirteen.

I've just moved into a new apartment, and the only place I really have to store anything is in my room. I no longer have access to an unused front room or a basement. Most of my worldly possesions are in a rented storage facility. The rest are in my room. Including thirteen bins of yarn. Honestly, after the unpacking is done, and the furniture is rearranged, I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with them. They're so big. Right now they are stacked in several high rise towers, but that is not exactly attractive. Though I wonder, if I just keep in my mind that they are filled with yarn-y goodness, that I'll come to see them as beautiful?

I keep reminding myself that I really have enough yarn right now, and need to start knitting it up and making all those sweaters and things. I think that if I knit up all the yarn for which I've specfically bought for making sweaters, that when I'm finally done I'll have twelve sweaters. I don't even have room for five sweaters! Where am I going to put twelve? I reckon I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

I have a lot of lace yarn, too. I've only made one thing in lace, and while that came out well, and I want to make more, I am, quite frankly, intimidated by lace making. Or maybe not the knitting itself, but the blocking. I am not the best blocker in the world, and just thinking about blocking a lace piece scares the crap out of me. After all, it took me a few months before I felt I could block the first lace piece I made. I shudder to think of knitting a bunch of lace, and then having it stare at me in its unblocked silence, mocking me while I quiver in the corner, staring at it in uncomprehending horror: How the hell am I going to block this thing?

I am sure I'll get over it.

I'm about to start on a lace pattern in Cascade Epiphany (60% Royal Alpaca, 20% Cashmere, 20% Silk). I was advised to knit a swatch and block it. But I think I'm going to go full balls to the wall and knit it without a swatch.

Sometimes you have to live dangerously.

No comments:

Post a Comment