This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Old Projects

In the midst of my move, with all my needles still packed (and a quarter of my yarn stash still at the old digs), I've been working on old, abandoned projects. I finished some hats, and have recently picked up a belt that I was working on, oh, five years ago, for a friend. It's from one of the Stitch and Bitch books, and you cast on 9 stitches of Noro Kenyon, knitting a moss stitch on size US 11 needles, for so many feet (must unpack the book and check how long it needs to be) and then felt it. My friend Steven might like such a belt, so he's the lucky winner. Of course, it is the most brainless and boring thing to be knitting, and I think it is best done in company, because I'm boring myself with it. But Steven will be happy. And I want to knit more things that I get to felt. I've only felted a couple of things, some pot holders/trivets. I used Lamb's Pride Bulky, and loosely knit some squares, and felted them. They came out OK, but I learned that yarns that are silver or white don't felt as well as yarns that are actually dyed colours. My very wise friend Jay told me that's because the bleach that is used to strip any natural colour to make a white yarn interferes with proper felting. I think I packed them into a box that went into storage. Oh well, I can always make more.

My computer at home is not yet set up, so I have no pictures to post, but I will, eventually. I've got my yarn, my clock radio, and NPR, so I'm good to go, at least for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment