This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Rhinebeck Sheep & Wool Festival

OMG! OMG OMG OMG! I think I'm going to be able to go to Rhinebeck Sheep and Wool Festival this year! This is the first year in many years that I am not in graduate school! I don't have classes on Saturday mornings! I don't have an internship on Sundays! I don't have a metric arse-tonne of homework to complete over the weekend! My friend Kim doesn't live too far away from the festival! I can stay at her place!

I just wrote an entire paragraph with eclamation points. I've wanted to go to Rhinebeck since the first time I ever heard of it, around my first year in library school. A group of knitters I know were going to drive up to Albany, not an impossible drive from Boston. And I couldn't go. I had papers to write. I had Colon Classification to learn about. I had tomes of esoteric library knowledge to assimilate. Oh woe is me, cried I. And I vowed, then and there, as God is my witness, that I would never go hungry again, neither me, nor any of my kin that I would go to Rhinebeck at the first opportunity I could, in the very year I graduated!

Now, with my shiny new degree in one hand, and my unemployment status in the other, I have the time to go. I can wear my Pirate Hat, and be a Yarn Corsair! "Yaaaaaarn!" I'll exclaim, waving my knitting needles like a cutlass. "Yo-ho-ho, and a skein of homespun!" And I'll fight to the death any knitter who thinks they can get between me and that last skein of knittable goodness over there. Because what I really need, what will make me happier than anything in the world, is more yarn.

Oh, and to spend some time with good friends at the Sheep & Wool Festival!

No comments:

Post a Comment