This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Hubris

Every now and then, when I begin thinking I'm a hot shot knitter, something happens that slaps me upside the head and reminds me that I'm not so great as I think I am. Case in point: I don't know how to pick up a dropped stitch (hangs head in shame). I can do double knitting. I can do fair isle. I can cable. I can make lace. Hell, I even like purling, and I knit English!

But I don't know how to pick up a dropped stitch. Which means I either have to find someone to do it for me, or I have to frog or tink back to get the stitch back on the needle. I understand the theory of using a crochet needle to pick up the dropped stitch. I've even seen people do it, slowly, so I can follow it. But I'm a kinesthetic learner, and my best learning mode is to learn by doing, not by watching. So it still eludes me.

Somehow I dropped a stitch in my double dragon scarf. I am so close to finishing the second dragon in the pattern and I am knitting at a break neck speed. Well, break neck for double knitting. I mean, double knitting isn't exactly the fastest knitting I've ever done. Anyway, I'm now tinking back a couple of rows to pick up a stitch. Le sigh. I remember a saying for my chaplaincy days: Worse things have happened to nicer people.

No comments:

Post a Comment