This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Friday, March 18, 2011

Process Knitting

I got the yarn to make a dragon scarf for a friend of mine, a Christmas present (what? you don't start your holiday knitting in March? When do you get it all done?). At the Simmons GSLIS we're trying to revive a stitch and bitch, and I met with some classmates for lunch and knitting. I cast on for the double knit (always a challenge) and knit for three hours. I had about four inches of fabric knitted up when I discovered a mistake in the second row of the dragon pattern.

A rational person, which I am not, would have left it alone, a design feature rather than a mistake. But as I said, I'm not rational. I ripped back to the offending row, and then couldn't get all the stitches back on the needle. Damn No. 5s! So I ripped back three hours' worth of knitting and cast on again. I had time to knit two rows before I had to go meet with a professor (we were talking about competencies and how to test for them). I thought I might knit some when I got home last night, but I was knackered and didn't get a single row done.

I have a midterm tomorrow, but between studying for it, writing this post, and grabbing lunch, I might try to get a couple rows done. At least to the part where I start the dragon pattern.

Things would be so much easier if I were a product knitter instead of a process knitter.

The scarf, by the way, is being knit on US 5 needles, with Berocco Ultra Alpaca Light, which is more of a Sport / DK size yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment