This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Draconis Draconis, or, The Finished Dragon

So I finished my test-swatch for the dragon. It is knitted in Lamb's Pride Worsted weight yarn (85% wool, 15% mohair), on US 6 needles. I got the pattern from Tina13 on Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dragonscarf ). I plan on knitting this again, at least two more times, once in green for someone, though I think I will add a crenelated border, and again as a scarf for someone, in DK weight ultra alpaca (50% alpaca, 50% wool). I'll post pictures of those as I go along.

Using the Lamb's Pride, while very pretty, presented the twin problems of the yarn not being a consistent heft throughout the skein (both colours suffered from this), and its general fuzziness because of the mohair content. But again, this was just a test swatch to see how wide this would be in worsted weight. I know it will be less wide in DK, and the very nice lady at A Good Yarn and I figured that it should be between 6-1/2 and 7 inches wide, which is perfectly acceptable for a scarf. I hope that four skeins of each colour will be enough. I am drawing up designs for the scarf now, and I am very excited about it.

Here are a couple of photos of the finished design.



Draconis Draconis. Thank you, Tina13, for your ingenuity and design ability!

No comments:

Post a Comment