This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Planning Future Projects

I was able to tink that row on my Death of the Moon, taking out 421 stitches. I corrected that yarn over, and got right back to knitting that row again. And sure enough, I enjoyed it as much the second time as I did the first. After knitting four rows yesterday, I have only five more to go, the final cable row, four rows of garter, and the bind off. Then I have to sew in all those ends, and block it. The end is in sight!

I think my next project will be the two bear hats I started in Boston and only recently unpacked. I'm making them for my friend Tom and his husband Tod, one is in green Mad Tosh, with a brown bear, the other is in blue Mad Tosh, with same brown bear. As Christopher Moore would say, "Strong like bear." I needed to enlarge the pattern to make it easier for my aging eyes to read, and I'm looking forward to getting it done and getting it in the mail. Of course, by the time they receive it, summer will be here and no one in their right mind will be wearing a wool stocking cap. But I like to believe it's the thought that counts.

A while back I planned a man shawl for a friend of mine who was experiencing some health problems and found that after his treatments couldn't get warm. I realised that I didn't have enough yarn to complete the project as planned, so the next time I was able to get some Good Karma Farm yarn, I stocked up. That yarn is now unpacked and catalogued, and this will be my next project. My plan is to finish this before I go to Boston, and to try to arrange to meet with this friend for dinner while I'm there.

Finally, for planned projects, a friend in New Orleans is in the Big Easy Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, and is planning a fund raiser in July for a local charity (not sure if it's St Anna's Food Pantry, or St Lazarus' House, but both are worthy causes), and he's asked me to knit a hat for the silent auction. I've got some left over Tosh I could use for this, or maybe some Berroco Ultra Alpaca. I'm planning on a relatively easy Fair Isle pattern, which always wows the non-knitters.

Of  course, all of this could change at the drop of a hat, and I could be working on completely different projects than those planned here, but I like to be mindful of what's in the queue, and even if I deviate from the path (which I know will happen!), know that these are things that I both need and want to get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment