This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Some Random Thoughts

I tried to learn a new cast-on last night, and failed at it miserably. The cable cast-on is not all that hard, but it's supposed to be loose, stretchy, and my attempt was tight and iron-like. Is that ironic? So Patrick, another attendee at knit-night, cast the 200 stitches I wanted onto my needles. I knit the first round, and when I got to the last two stitches, they were so tight I couldn't get the needle in to carry the yarn. After several attempts, growing more and more frustrated, the yarn slid off the needle and the cast-on disintegrated. I hate it when that happens. I will attempt to re-cast-on this cowl. It's in MadTosh forestry,and I love the colour!

My newest attempt at the NewBitterSweet Cowl is coming along wonderfully. I'm using baby llama (llambrosia) and I just began the first row of the lace pattern. I think this is going to go to Carlene's mother, Margaret. I think this cowl pattern could be easily adapted for a rectangular shawl and look very pretty, knit up quckly, and be a really fun knit.

I keep thinking I should make a spreadsheet for the knitting projects I want to accomplish this year, sort of a running tally to keep me on track and so I don't forget what I said I would make. I'll get right on that, right before cataloguing my yarn.

It is snowing outside, making me thankful that I am a knitter. I am off to Mind's Eye Yarns to get a wee bit of roving to make the coloured portions of the eye for my new eyeballs. I wonder what the smallest amount I can buy is? I'm still excited by this project, I just wish I could make it happen faster.


No comments:

Post a Comment