This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Saturday, January 10, 2015

New Year, New Projects!

I have cast on the first project of the new year, and I have done so using stash yarn! Maybe this will be an omen for the upcoming year that I will knit more stash and buy less yarn! I wasn't able to get a good picture of it, but it's a hat for Brandon in Cascade Eco-duo (70%alpaca, 30% merino, undyed).

Right. Who am I kidding? Since I'm saving up through the whole year for both Rhinebeck and the NH Sheep & Wool festival, and Huw has mentioned Web's tent sale in relation to a trip to Northampton, I already know that much yarn will be acquired. And dare I admit that I just got some gorgeous
MadTosh in her Chicory colourway, to make something for myself? No, I won't admit that at all. Now the question is, what to make with it?

I have finished the mink cowl for Steven. It's more than 20 inches long, and will be all bunched up around his neck. I think I should have made the stripes shorter than I did, but I can't change it now. He'll be so very warm wearing it. I have to say, that as much as I love MadTosh yarns, after knitting with mink, Tosh feels like knitting with burlap. Hell, knitting with alpaca feels like knitting with burlap after mink. I think I could get very spoiled, very easily, if it weren't so damn expensive!

I'm also almost done with the New Bittersweet Cowl for Siohban. I think I have eleven more rows to knit and I can bind off. It's looking good, but my sense is that I knit it very tightly, and that it won't be long enough. Of course, blocking it will make it stretch a bit. I hope it can be wrapped at least twice. I am learning that the first time I try any new pattern I knit it a bit more tightly than is my wont; I noticed it with the Honey Cowls. The first was tight, the last was much closer to gauge.

I have been trying to buy some Vitreous Humor yarn from Insbordiknits, but there is no place on their website that I can see where one may make a purchase. Maybe I'm missing something. I sent a message to the owner on Facebook, but so far, no response. I really want to make this scarf for William (even though it kind of grosses me out), but I'm not sure I'll be able to. I'm also looking forward to finishing Brad's sweater and casting on Troy's cowl. I've got so much to keep me busy over the  next few weeks, and I want to knit it all right now! Being a non-monogamous knitter always means having something to knit.

No comments:

Post a Comment