This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Random Thoughts

Dorothy Parker once said, "I hate writing, I love having written."

I have tried to start this blog entry three different times this afternoon, and each time I've deleted what I've written, sighed, and tried again. This is the fourth attempt. The problem I'm finding is that I've already spoken at length about feeling overwhelmed by my holiday knitting, and how I'm pretty sure I'll get it all done. Actually, I'm not at all sure I'll get it all done, I just tell myself that to keep from screaming in abject terror.

I did something I've never done before (damn, there goes another virginity!). I went on line and bought patterns from Webs. The Berroco Booklet, with seven different patterns. I only wanted one, the Millais shawl, but I'll live with the others. Actually, there are two others I'd consider making, the Wallis cowl and the Holman-Hunt shawl. But the sweaters are for skinny women, and I'm neither.

I also got the pattern for the cute little snow family I mentioned in an earlier post. I'll probably never make them, but I have the ability and the pattern, so maybe someday. A very plain men's sweater (basic, with a stockinette body and just some ribbing on the neck, cuffs, and waist), and a cabled afghan, which can be a lap blanket, a bed blanket, or a tent, depending on the weight of the yarn and the size of the needles. My goal for next year is to knit a few things for myself. So maybe that plain sweater, and the afghan. I've always wanted to knit a blanket!

Most of what excites me these days (finishing a project, buying patterns I'll probably never use, buying yarn!) would probably bore the bejesus out of anyone else. And I haven't really finished a project in a while. But when I bind off that last stitch, I feel like I've really done something, and then go cast on a new project. It's about all the excitement I can stand sometimes.

Speaking of excitement, while I couldn't go to Rhinebeck, my friend Kim did. And she brought me back a couple of skeins of yarn.

Approximately 120 yards each, a blend of Qiviut, fine Merino, and Silk. It hales from Springtide Farm, and is the softest stuff I've ever felt. I am not quite sure what I'm going to make with this yarn, but whatever it ends up being, it'll be luxurious and warm!


No comments:

Post a Comment