This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Person Who Knits in Public

Over the weekend some classmates and I visited the house of one of our profs to learn about cataloguing paper. He has one of the quintessential paper collections in the world, over 45,000 (yes, you read that right) pieces of paper, from all over the world, from across the centuries. It is, in short, amazing.

On the way to his house, Jess snapped this picture of me, knitting on a bench waiting for the train. To paraphrase Robert Heinlein: A person who knits in public may have other nasty habits.
I'm working on a hat for Joel. Another inch of ribbing and I can start the stockinette stripes. Black and blue. Either it's going to look like a bruise or like the leather pride flag. Well, I'll omit the white stripe and the little heart to keep it from looking like the flag.
Hmm, the blue yarn I'm using for his hat is a bit brighter than that, so *phew!* no worries there!

Counting this week, I have four more weeks of school left (and five papers). Then I'll have a master's degree. In science. I feel so very Ian Shoales.

I have been trying to make a list of things I have on the needles. Usually late at night, while I'm falling asleep, I remember something else to add to the list. From scarves (at least three of them) to sweaters (I think there are eight of those), I've got to get past the ADHD and focus on finishing some projects this summer. I'd like some new sweaters to wear come the cold weather. And yes, as a matter of fact, I have started my Christmas knitting. Hmm, maybe if I'm a good boy, Santa will bring me a pony an alpaca for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment