This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Cascade Eco Duo

A friend who is moving to Chicago next year asked me to make him a hat and scarf in grey. He sent me a cheque, and I dutifully went to the yarn store and got some Cascade Eco Duo. I've been in love with this yarn since I first encountered it. I have some in my stash, but I haven't made anything with it yet. The yarn, 70% alpaca and 30% merino is undyed, and comes in several natural shades. The blended greys that I chose for this project are striking and handsome.

Here is the yarn while it is still in a hank (I got three hanks, one for the hat, and two for the scarf).

This is the first four or so inches of the hat. It self stripes, and the picture is not as pretty as the actual object. It's a bit brighter than this shows. (US size 7 needles, in the round, 2x2 ribbing, knit in the round.)

Now, about the yarn. It is extremely soft. Oh, so, so, so soft! It's like knitting with clouds. However, it is a bit splitty, and care needs to be taken so that it isn't split asunder whilst poking needles hither and thither.

That said, I am really enjoying working with this yarn. When this bit of knittery is done, I think I'll make myself a hat and scarf with what I've got in my stash. If I can find it. Of course I'll be able to find it! I'm going to catalogue all my yarn this summer. Right?

Right. I hope I live to see it.

My Thursdays have taken a wonderful twist, since a few of us from the library programme are meeting for a lunch-time stitch and bitch. It lasts a couple of hours, and it is one of my highlights of my week. This, along with Nine Inch Needles on Mondays are my favourite times of the week.

Which reminds me, there are only three weeks of school left. Three weeks, three papers.
Eep!

2 comments:

  1. Very excited about this ensemble! Can't wait to watch it take shape. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll post the hat again when it's done, and the scarf when it's got more than a few rows done.

    ReplyDelete