This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Achieving SABLE*

I am a graduate student in library science. The Spring '10 term was pretty awful. I was working at a job that I didn't like, taking a course that was knocking the stuffing out of me, and generally being all depressed. I was in class two nights a week, at my internship one night a week (and Sundays), and in the library all day on Saturdays and on Sunday evenings. The only night I took off from this mishegas was Friday nights.

Every Friday night I would get off the subway one stop early and visit my local LYS, Mind's Eye Yarns. And every Friday, I would greet Lucy, the owner, and say, "I'm not gong to buy any yarn tonight." Then I would proceed to buy anywhere between $50 and $175 worth of yarn. Not that I had time to even knit this stuff up. It really was just retail therapy, and made me feel better for a little while. Until I had to get up early the next morning to get to the library when it opened at 8:00 am so I could fit in some studying.

But I had yarn.

I was surveying my yarn stash this weekend. It fills nine large plastic bins, and there's overflow in a small container (which is really overflowing) near the bins, and then lots of zip-loc baggies with one or two skeins in the living room near my sofa. Not to mention the plethora of yarn stashed away in my bedroom that has yet to make it to any of the nine bins.

There's lots of cool stuff in there. Lots of pastaza, eco-wool, and alpaca. There's bags with 15 or 20 skeins that are destined to become sweaters. There's sock yarn, and I don't even know how to make socks. There's cashmere, lace weight alpaca, and mohair. There are strange things that I bought on sale (who can resist wool/silk yarn dyed a grape-purple at $2.00 per skein?) that I have no idea what to do with. And let's  not mention the abandoned projects projects that are currently on hiatus. Or vacation. Yeah, that's it! Those projects waiting to be done are on vacation.

Not a pretty sight.  You'd think someone who wants to be a cataloguer when he grows up would have his stash better organised.

You heard it here first: Over winter break, I am going to organise my yarn stash! I am going to catalogue my stash! I am going to figure out what projects are on the needles and what needs to be done to finish them! I might even finish one or two of them!

Yeah, right. I hope I live to see it.


*SABLE: Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectency

No comments:

Post a Comment