This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Stash Busting or. . . Bust!

Some time back I found some beautiful undyed black alpaca yarn in my stash. I thought it would make a beautiful scarf for the husband of a friend of mine. I don't know if he wears scarves, and I've never seen him in the other one I made for him, but I have made things for everyone in our little circle of friends now, and have not made anything else for him (of course, he has a wife who knits). I did not, however, have enough yarn to make the scarf I wanted to make. Serendipitously, there was a business card with the yarn, from the woman who owned the alpaca whence came the yarn. I called her and left a message, and she got back to me that she would look and see if she had anymore of that beautiful alpaca yarn.

I got a text from her today, she has another 250 yards (I only need about 120), and if there is extra, I'm sure I could eke out a hat. I love that she was able take the time to look for this yarn for me. The question remains, however, if I am busting my stash, and the first two skeins I have are stash, but the last skein is new, does this count as stash busting?

If I can score this yarn, it will become part of the Holiday Knitting Madness, and become one of the Irish Hiking Scarves I'm planning to make. Thus far:
Jayson: Tosh DK, fathom, knitted (stash yarn)
Brandon: Tosh DK, scarlet, on the needles, more than halfway completed
Peter: Malabrigo, red, yarn acquired
Julie: Handspun/hand-dyed, purple, yarn acquired
Michela: Tosh DK, Cousteau, stash yarn
John: Alpaca, black, half stash yarn, half to be acquired.

Can I get four-and-a-half Irish Hiking Scarves done in a month? I don't know, but I'm going to try. I'm only afraid I'll get terribly bored with the pattern after a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment