This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Light Dawns Over Marblehead

One of the things I like is knitting with soft yarns. Alpaca is a favourite, but there are yarns like Cascade's Eco Duo, and today, Juniper Moon Farm's Chadwick. It's 60% merino wool and 40% baby alpaca, and it is very soft indeed.

And one of the things I've noticed about these really soft yarns is that they are not plied and are very splitty. I'm making a scarf with the Chadwick, and yes, it's so soft. It is for the mother of a friend of mine, and I thought a soft, gentle scarf would be ideal.

But it's splitty.
Wicked splitty.

But it's also soft.

So it has finally dawned on me that the really soft yarns are probably soft because they are not plied too tightly, and that gauziness is part of what makes them soft. I suppose this would be obvious or self evident to some knitters, but usually I'm too busy reveling in the fact that the yarn is so soft, when I'm not whinging about how splitty it is.

Light really does dawn over Marblehead (it does! really! I've seen the sunrise there), and sometimes that marble head is my own.

This is the scarf I started this weekend from Juniper Moon Farm's Chadwick. The pattern was taken from Knitting for Dummies. I know the picture is dark, but I did use the flash. Not sure what is going on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment