This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Stash and the Diesel

I've been thinking about taking pictures of my stash. You know, nine big plastic storage bins filled with an abundance of yarn. But I haven't gotten around to it. I've got lots of excuses: papers, reading assignments, resume writing, thinking about going to ALA in New Orleans this June.  And true, not all my yarn in stashed in my stash. Some of the stuff I got for Christmas knitting is still in my room, even though I'm not going to start knitting it up until after the semester is over in May. But it's soft. Malabrigo and Cascade Eco-duo. I need to take pictures of that stuff, too.

By and large I've been pretty good about not buying more yarn. I have structured my schedule so that I don't have time in my day to make it to the store. I've been talking to knitters who don't have a stash, or who only work on one project at a time. I just don't get it. My stash is an extension of myself. Love me, love my stash. But even I know that it is out of control and needs to be reined in, just a bit.

Met up with the Nine Inch Needles last night, and had a new guy join in the fun and games. Of course, he's a friend of mine from another social network site, but it was good to have him there. The only thing I don't like about having our group meet at the Diesel Cafe is that the accoustics are really horrible. I have hearing problems as it is, and in that space, I find that I have to ask everyone to repeat everything. Or I have to cup my ear with my hand in order to hear, and that makes knitting difficult. And since I attend for the camraderie as much as the knitting, this creates a bit of dilemma. I wonder if we could move to the front of the cafe, and if the accoustics are any better there than in the back. The lighting in the back is also pretty poor, with the dark walls and black ceiling, so if one is working with dark yarns, it can be difficult to see. But accoustics and darkness aside, I love the ambience of the Diesel. I like the dikey barristas, and their quirky senses of humour. And one of the cashiers knows my name now. How cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment