This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Forever Yarn Visit 2018

I've been home from Pennsylvania for the better part of a week now, and I had all last week off from work (New Orleans really does shut down when it gets a snow dusting), and I'm only now getting around to writing this up. Bad knitter, no Malabrigo!

As we do every winter, we had our annual reunion in Sellersville. As I do every reunion, I made my way to Forever Yarn to visit Yan and to add some beautiful stuff to my stash. I actually made it to the shop twice, since Yan was not there on Saturday, since she was at Vogue Knitting. But she was there on Sunday! But to assuage my sorrow at not seeing Yan, I got some Madeline Tosh Twist Light.
The green is Forsta 426 and the speckled is SS Jade, and I'm thinking a Death of the Moon shawl.

I returned to the shop on Sunday, and got to see Yan. Since the store has moved to a new location, she gave me a little tour. The walls are white and there is a big window that lets in lots of light. It's much brighter and cheerier than the old store, and while everything isn't out yet, I'm looking forward to next year's visit, the wall cubbies all filled with gorgeous yarn.

I picked up a few more skeins. Yan suggested something I've never seen before, Woolfolk. It is a very soft Merino wool, worsted weight and is the softest stuff I've ever knit with. I hate to say it but it makes things like Mad Tosh and Malabrigo Rios feel rough. Brandon picked out a skein and I've already started knitting it. Unfortunately, it's white, and will have to be washed when I'm done. White yarn seems to pick up every bit of dirt on your hands.

One project on the needles, one ready to be wound up. The grey skein will become a hat, too. The colourways are Too and T2. *Sigh* I kind of wish colour names would reflect reality and not some bizarre nomenclature that is meaningless. This shit is worse than Mad Tosh's colour names.

This yarn, Woolen Boon, comes from New Hampshire, and how could I resist anything with the tag line, "Wicked Pretty Yarn For All"? I'm not sure what it will become, but it sure is pretty. Colourway is Dress Blues.

For the second year in a row I got some Qing, a hand dyed yarn from England. Brandon picked it out and I need to figure what I can make for him with this. The colourway is Fox Glove.

New to the store is Walk, a hand dyed yarn from Germany. The colourway is Treasure Island, and I think it could make a right pretty shawl.

Shibui Silk Mohair is something one can never go wrong with, and I saw a larger shawl paired with Habu, a simple knit on big needles. It was knit with two skeins but I wanted more of a scarf, so with a cast on of 30 stitches I think I can make a right pretty scarf for myself. Or someone else. The Shibui colourway is Blueprint.

Finally, Yan gave me a skein of Madeline Tosh Merono Light, colourway Laurel. A little bit of lagniappe far away from the home of lagniappe. I very much appreciate the gift.

I have been visiting Forever Yarn for several years: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, and 2018, and I don't think I've ever knit anything from the yarn I've gotten there. It's become part of my core stash. I need to look up all the things I've gotten there and start knitting it. It's such beautiful yarn, and it would probably be happy becoming something beautiful and useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment