This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Monday, May 8, 2017

Nothing in this Post is About Knitting

It's been a couple of months since I've posted. Naughty me. Sorry. I've been busy with other projects, and sadly, most of them have not included knitting. But now I'm back, and I'm ready to start the Holiday knitting! Tonight is the only night this week that I don't have plans for the evening. My only night at home, as it were.

The following has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with knitting.

The project that has been eating most of my time has been my novice project for the Big Easy Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. I joined this group in February, 2016, shortly after I moved to New Orleans. I have moved through the stages, Aspirant, Postulant, Novice. I'm at the Novice stage now, and since my novice project is successfully completed, I am ready to elevate to Fully Professed. I will be a Guard with the SPI, and I'm really excited, and a bit nervous, even though I've been assured there is nothing for which I need to be nervous.

The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence are an international group of 21st Century Queer Nuns, who expiate stigmatic guilt and promulgate universal joy. Or, in layman's terms, we are a 501(c)3 organisation that does fundraising for underfunded organisations, HIV/AIDS education, While mostly comprised of gay men, the organisation welcomes men and women, cis- and transgender, gay, straight, bisexual, and every other orientation. All that is asked is that members be in sympathy with the goals of the organisation.

Novice projects are expected of each person, Sister or Guard, in order to move up to the final rung of the ladder, Fully Professed. In the Big Easy Sisters, both Sisters and Guards are co-equal, have a vote, and do all the work. Novice projects are to benefit the larger community or the House (our own organisation), and I opted to do something to benefit the House. Our website hadn't been updated in over two years, and there were people listed as members who were no longer attached to the House, people who had elevated to Fully Professed who were listed as Novices, and some who weren't listed at all, but were very much a part of the organisation. So I undertook the task of making a working website that reflected the House as it is now, not as it was two years ago.

I am almost done. There are two more pages to do, and I'll be finished. I've published it, made it public, and those final pages will be added by the end of May. May I present to you, The Big Easy Sisters, Parish of the Muddy Waters. I've included a couple of pictures.

Almost the entire House, for the Memorial Service for Sister Cathi Terr, 3/17


Sister Shir Madness and Guard Buddha Bear carrying the banner at the Southern Decadence Parade, 9/16

Sister Mary Pat McCooter, Sister Magically Delicious, Sister Gloree Bea, Guard Buddha Bear, Sister Shir Madness
New Orleans Pride, 6/16

Sister Yoko Ohnoshe Dinnit, Sister Moana Moansalott, Sister Eileen Eulick. James, Sister Magically Delicious
Guard Buddha Bear, Guard Ten Buck U, Aspiriant Brandon, Gerald, Mardi Gras, 2/17



No comments:

Post a Comment