This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Oooh! Look! A Knitting Post

I finished the Irish Hiking Scarf I made for my boss. Finally. I have to admit, while it is a beautiful scarf, and let's face it, cables impress the natives, after knitting about ten of them, it's rather boring. I actually found myself avoiding my knitting because I was so bored, and I knew if I cast anything else onto the needles, boss's scarf would become another UFO. 

So, what have I cast on? Just another Death of the Moon shawl by Josh Ryks. It's the fourth one I've cast on, only one of which has been completed. The other two are probably going to be frogged and started again. I have to say, it's not all that hard a pattern, but I had to cast it on several times to get it to work out. And at one point I think I missed a purled yarn-over, because I was off one stitch (I just kibf to make up for it, I was not going to tink back two rows of over 80 stitches each). 

This one is for Kristen. The yarn is Periwinkle Sheep, the colourways are Thunderstorm (the grey) and Audrey Hepburn (the red). I'm almost done with the second section, and will start to add the Audrey Hepburn in the third section. I love the way this shawl looks, but I always have a hard time keeping the stitch count right. But when it's done? Wow! it's a stunner.

Death of the Moon: The Beginning

*********************************************************************************

I got involved in a conversation on Facebook today, and ended up chatting with someone who is an Indie Dyer. The Fiberists have some really pretty yarns, and I may have to break my promise not to buy (too much) yarn this year. Made by Geeks, the yarns are named after various scientists (Curie, Newton, Franklin, Hopper, among others). I've been perusing their wares, and I have to admit, I've already got a wish list. 
Some of the yarns, taken from the website:
Audobon Sport, Hippopotamus Amphibius

Curie Heavy Worsted, Lapis Lazuli

Audobon Worsted, Fire Opal

I definitely have to get this into my stash! I already know what I want! 
Is that bad?

*********************************************************************************

Which leads me to another woe. Fibre fests. I wasn't able to go to the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Festival this year (alas, it happened last week), and the fibre festival we went to last year in Mississippi has been cancelled. I have a four day weekend in October, and I went on line to see if there were any fibre fests anywhere in the country, and you know, there are festivals the weekends before the one I have off, and there are festivals in the weekends after I have off, but there are not fibre festivals the actual weekend I have off. And it's not like I have a choice of weekends to take off, because the university where I work is closed for fall break (what the hell is fall break? when I was at university (four of 'em) we had spring break and a four day weekend over Thanksgiving, but never a fall break!). So it looks like I'm SOL for getting to a fibre festival this year. I feel like twirling my mustaches and saying, "Curses, foiled again!"

No comments:

Post a Comment