This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Back in the Saddle Again

The cataloguing of the yarn continues. Eight bins have been done, and two more will be added tomorrow. I'm actually enjoying this process. Every other time I've tried to catalogue my yarn, I collapsed in a sodden heap of ennui. But I'm chugging along, and I'm discovering yarns I'd forgotten I'd owned. Some really pretty ones, too. I guess I don't need to buy more yarn for a while. At least until the next Sheep and Wool festival I can go to.

Today I went to Bornside Yarns and joined the knitting group. It was mostly ladies of a certain age, and two other men. Very cozy. I started knitting again today after a six week hiatus. I found a hat in Cestari wool that I started, probably in 2009. I was a few rows away from beginning the decreases, so I brought it along and got it to the point where it's now on DPNs. Interestingly, while there, Miss Bette showed us some colour sample cards from a rep she'd just met recently, and they were from Cestari Farms. I passed my hat around so people could get a feel for it. It's a pretty rough yarn, probably better for sweaters than hats, but I was informed upon purchasing it (way back when Lucy still owned Mind's Eye Yarns) that it would soften up upon washing. So it was serendipitous that I found it whilst cataloguing.


While walking to dinner with Brandon tonight, I mentioned that if I can afford it, I'd like to do a quick weekend whirlwind trip to Boston for Mother's Day weekend, to attend the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Festival. He has this insane idea that if I bring new yarn into the house, then he can bring lots of bacon into the kitchen, the kitchen which I would like to keep kosher (don't ask, no, I'm not Jewish, I'm Jew-ish). I immediately informed him that any yarns purchased while on holiday don't count toward one's yarn stash, because it's vacation yarn, a memento of your trip. Some people buy t-shirts, some people buy key chains, and some people buy yarn. Everyone knows that vacation yarn doesn't count as part of one's stash, but I had the hardest time convincing him about that. I'm not sure I have yet, but I shall. Because we all know that it is a fact of life (a "thing" as some friends would put it) that yarns purchased on vacation are not counted as part of the stash, and even people on yarn diets have dispensation to buy yarn on vacation.

2 comments:

  1. You can counter him by saying he needs to keep any bacon in the freezer...as a memento of his vacations... Just sayin'
    Hope you get to come north again, though you're probably well out of the snow belt...am vicariously loving your dip into yarn bins
    Becky the dancer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be making a trip up north for Mother's Day Weekend, going to the NH Sheep and Wool Festival on Saturday. Why don't you make a special trip?

      Delete