This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Not in My Life

The preparations for the big move to New Orleans procede apace, and I am aware that money is really tight right now. Sure I saved up some money, but things like this always cost more than one ever anticipates. I was discussing this with a friend, and she suggested that I sell some of my yarn.

Let me repeat that: She said, "Sell some of your yarn on Etsy or E-bay."

That would be like selling my sister into whoredom. It won't happen. Ever. On really intense days, the yarn is my Precious.

Ash nazg gimbatul, Ash nazg thrakatuluk, Agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

I would be quite willing to fall into Mount Doom to protect it. Seriously. I've spent a long time amassing my yarn stash. I plan on knitting all of it before I die. I think when I do, I'll become a Buddha.
I've invested a lot of time and energy into my stash. Thirty bins, that's quite a bit for only 11 years of knittery. I sometimes have no idea what I'm going to do with it all, and other times I know what I want to do with every single skein, hank, and ball. There are bags in there of matching skeins to make sweaters (like I'll need them in Louisiana), hats, scarves, lace projects (which are a bit beyond me because I'm not as much of a hotshot knitter as I pretend to be). Sometimes I've bought yarn because the colour appealed to me, or the fibre, or because I was in a strange town and wanted to buy some yarn to remember it by. Or the wonderful skeins I bought on my last trip to the Pacific Northwest in 2013. I got some good stuff on that trip, and I've even knit some of it up!

But selling my yarn is not in the picture right now. I want to shop my stash while I'm living in New Orleans, especially since neither of the local stores carry Tosh, or Shibui, or Baah. And I know I have those in my stash, and will be able to knit some of them while I'm down south. Or I can always contact my Boston knitters to get me what I need!

No comments:

Post a Comment