This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Tired Legs Mean I Can't Knit

I have decided that since my fat clothes are getting too tight (I feel like too much sausage stuffed into too little casing), that it was high time to return to the gym. So I'm in my third week of getting up at 4:00 am and trudging to the gym so I can do 50 minutes of intense cardio exercise. So far it is working, and I'm losing two pounds a week (weigh-in day is every Friday, and I'm down 4 pounds! who knows what the end of this week will bring?).

What's the downside to all this exercise? Well, I'm at the gym when I would normally be knitting. I usually get up at 5:00 am, turn on NPR's Morning Edition, listen until 7:00, and knit. Renee Montaigne, Steve Inskeep, and David Green are my morning buddies while I knit a few more rows. I have to admit, while I really love seeing the pounds melt off me, I miss my morning news time. And more, I miss my morning knit time.

I suppose I could knit when I get home at the end of the day. I tried that last night. I got home around 7:30 pm, and stretched out on the bed. I'll pick up the needles in a few minutes, I thought. But stretched out legs felt so good, and I didn't want to curl them up to sit like a tailor (which is my most common position when knitting at home). And then I didn't want to get up and walk across the room to fetch my knitting (my legs are tired!). I finally turned the light out, long before my regular bed-time, because I realised that's what my body wanted. Sleep, glorious, healing, wonderful sleep!

I need to get my butt in gear, and get my knit on, because I've promised a friend some caps and a few other things. He's recently had a bout with cancer, and finds that he cannot get warm since undergoing chemo. The free caps offered at his hospital tend toward the more feminine styles and would never fit his big melon of a head, and he's a big ol' bear of a man. He likes blues and greens and olive colours. I'm going through my stash now to find some stuff for him. I need to get some bulky alpaca to make him a man-shawl, though I won't call it that. It's a soft blanket to wrap around your torso when you're shivering. I have some Malabrigo Mecha that I think will be just perfect. Tonight, after work, tired legs or no, I'm starting a new cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment