This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Mood: for cattle, or a reason not to do something?

I've been thinking about writing a post all day. And now that I'm finally in front of my computer, pictures downloaded and ready to upload here, I'm  not in the mood to write a blog post. I am so very mindful of Frank Herbert's book, Dune, where young Paul Atreides, not in the mood to practice with weapons that day, is told by Gurney Halleck (who is the Weapons Master, if I remember aright) that mood is a thing for cattle or for making love. He then proceeds to attack the Young Master and gets him to practice after all.

So here I am, in front of the keyboard, typing so very bravely, mood or no.

Last night I cast off the second Spiral Staircase Shawl, in Tosh's Fragrant, and cast on the third. I'm not sure the yarn is quite right for this project, it's a hand dyed merino/mohair that I bought when Mind's Eye was owned by it's original founder. It's a pretty yarn, all variegated blue, and all, but I'm not convinced that it's the right yarn for this project.  I made a swatch on both a US 5 and a US 6, and decided on the latter. I think that was a mistake, too. Of course, I've only done one iteration of the pattern (plus a bit more), so I guess I could take it off the needles and try again, or search through my endless stash to find something more apropos for the recipient of this latest endeavour. But it has to be in tones of blue, since she likes blues.









This is the yarn, about 350 to 400 yards of really pretty hand-dyed stuff. I may frog what I've got and try it on a smaller needle, or just rummage through the stash. I've got to have some blue Tosh somewhere, I reckon.

While I've been dithering over this is the right yarn, or even the right needles, I've also started casting on for a project I plan to complete before I fly to New Orleans in two weeks. Using some Cascade that's 70% merino and 30% silk, I'm going to make a New Bittersweet Cowl for Brandon's mom. It looks like I'll finally be meeting her, since I've been invited to his niece's 8th Grade Graduation. I reckon she'll be there, too, so I need to bribe her make a good impression on her. The yarn is a deep chocolate brown, and the silk makes it shimmer slightly. I'll post a picture when I've got more than half the cast-on complete.

Finally, when the the third iteration of the Spiral Staircase is done, and the chocolate brown cowl is given away, I'm going to make a fourth Spiral Staircase for the sister of the one who's getting the third one. I scored some gorgeous Zen Garden on sale. I'll bet it knits up just wonderfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment