This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Too Many Projects to Decide

In the novel Bingo, Rita Mae Brown has one of her characters say, "The happiest day of my life was when Frances moved in, and the second happiest day of my life was when Frances moved out." Knitting is something like that. My supreme joy is casting on, a new project, ripe with possibilities! My second joy is casting off, the ripeness fulfilled, reaping what has been sown. And in between is all that knitting.

Don't get me wrong. I love knitting. The physical act of creating knit and purl stitches is something I truly enjoy, or I wouldn't do it so much. But sometimes the interminable knitting can be a bit much.

So I have kind of overwhelmed myself. I've got five projects on the needles, recently bought or stash-picked yarn to make four more projects, and the kind of helpless feeling that I don't know what to do next, which project to work on right now.


This is the first project I cast on. It's a kit for a striped scarf I picked up on the Greater Boston Yarn Crawl back in September. I offered to make it for a friend, and he said it would be better as a cowl. So this completely knit-in-garter scarf has become knit one row of 206 stitches, and purl one row of 206 stitches. It's a bit wonky where I change yarns, but I'm determined not to be too concerned about that.

And I promised my friend Dolci a cowl, and she likes purple. I cannot, for the life of me, find the two skeins of Lolita Madeline Tosh I got when Windsor Button closed (I think I bought out their entire stock of Tosh, except for two skeins, the colour of which I did not like). So I cast on some Malabrigo Worsted to make a honey cowl, which I did not photograph, because I've only done the first four rows of stockinette and I think the first row of the slip stitch pattern. Right now it doesn't look like much of anything at all, and I'm not sure it's the right yarn for the job.

I've also cast on this cowl, in a dark purple Baah La Jolla yarn. 
I've not done much more than the six rows of ribbing and the first row of the lace pattern, but what is really cool about this cowl is that every knit stitch is ktbl, a technique I didn't know how to do, and learned just to make this project. Now knitting through the back loop isn't all that hard to do, but when you've never done it before, it's a bit counter intuitive. Now that I've done six rows of over 200 stitches with ktbl I'm an old pro at it. This is the first of my Yuletide knits that I've cast on this year for Christmas 2015 (cast on 2/9/15). I want an early start.

When I went to knitting on Friday night, there was an offer for $10 in store bucks (sort of like a credit, I assume), if you could make a scarf for the homeless by the 28th. I spent $30 on superwash Cascade 128 and for needles (hey, we're talking ten bucks' credit here!) and this morning attached the second ball of yarn, so I'm just past half way done.
This year's winter has been brutal, with over six feet of snow, temperatures in the single digits (if not below 0). So this will be a very small contribution to the well being of our city this year. I've been thinking about this a lot, and I have a lot of leftover yarn that is just sitting in my bins. I reckon I could take some of the superwash and make hats for the homeless. I think this will be a project for this year. 

For upcoming projects, I have these that I can show off.
For Brandon's mom, a honey cowl in Malabrigo, colourway Volcan. She likes brown, and this stuff is just lovely.

For William's eyeball scarf, I chose this Malabrigo Rasta, colourway Porrinho.
This weekend I counted out 75 yards and tied a wee slip knot there, since the original Vitreous Humour is that length. I'm still not sure how to attach the eyeballs. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
A plate of eyeballs.

For myself, a cowl in this, also Rasta.
I need to wash the Mecha cowl I normally wear, and need something to use while it is drying. This knit on US 17 needles. I  need to sit down and do it, because I don't think it will take all that long.

I'm also contemplating a sweater, in Donegal Tweed, a cobalt blue. But I need to think about where I'd fit it in, because I still have Brad's sweater to finish.

I think I've bitten off a bit more than I can chew. I need to learn to pace myself, and not cast on so many things at the same time. Somehow the adage applies here: You cannot have a baby in one month by impregnating nine women.

No comments:

Post a Comment