This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

More Charity Knitting

A couple of friends of mine who sing in the Boston Gay Men's Chorus asked me to knit up a hat for the annual auction the Chorus has as a fundraiser. While not overly fond of choral music (I have been in choruses in high school and in college; what killed it for me was singing Frostiana), I readily agreed to whip up a toque for them. Using some amazing Madeline Tosh Superwash worsted weight merino wool, I made this hat.

The colours are Betty Drapers Blues and Terra. I keep wanting to add a "cotta" to that, but that ain't the name, so I restrain myself.

My friends, who are both named David* (they go by Dave and David, or Dave and Theo -- don't ask, just go with it), and are collectively known as "The Daves" have been trying to convince me to start selling my knitting on Etsy (that is a post for another day).So I worked up a little description of the wool and myself:


About the wool
Merino wool comes from merino sheep, the aristocrats of the sheep world, who are, even for sheep, unspeakably stupid. Merino sheep produce very soft, warm wool, which spins beautifully and holds dye well.  Knitting with merino wool is a sublime experience. Wearing garments made from merino wool allows one to experience the sublime as well.

About the knitter
I have been knitting for almost ten years, focusing mostly on hats and scarves, occasional sweaters, and most recently, knitted lace. I only use natural fibres: wool, llama, alpaca, silk, cashmere and mohair. I prefer to eschew bamboo yarns, though I am sometimes seduced by its siren charms. I like working with jewel tones, tending toward cobalt blues and emerald greens, however undyed and natural coloured yarns have caught my attention. Recently, coming out of left field, is a fascination with yarns that are dyed red, especially knock-me-over-and-fuck-me red, as unscientific as that sounds, but one knows it when one sees it. Completely unprofessional photographs of some of my knitted goods may be seen at my knitting blog, The K is Silent, http://the-k-issilent.blogspot.com/ or on my Ravelry page, under the name bearknit. Commissions are cheerfully accepted, with prices ranging from more than you can imagine to more than you can afford. I may be reached at rapperbear@gmail.com



*This happens in gay relationships. I once met a lesbian couple who were both named Cheryl.

No comments:

Post a Comment