This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Forever Yarn

This past holiday weekend I've been in Pennsylvania for the second annual reunion of friends from my grad school days (the first degree). Steve and Carlene and I drove down from Boston, Brad and Alexandra and their girls drove in from Maryland, and we all converged on Libby and John's house outside Philadelphia. Good friends, good food, and of course, good yarn.

On Sunday, several of us visited the James A. Michener Museum for the astonishingly brilliant exhibit on the Pennsylvania Impressionists. What an amazing show! The curator deserves major kudos for pulling this exhibit together. In short, I liked it, I really liked it.

After touring the exhibit, some of us decided to wander the shops in Doylestown. While my friends explored the bookshops, I hit the yarn store. Forever Yarn (no website, alas) has a terrific collection of high end yarns. I entered through the back door, and there were about seven women sitting in the front room. I heard one of them call out, "The place is full of women!" Like I'm not used to that. I replied, "On my Friday night knit I'm usually the only man there." When they realised I was a knitter, they were very welcoming. They asked if I'd made my hat (I had), and what was I looking for, and were very friendly. I was just looking around, seeing what they had and if any of it appealed to me.

They had a lot of yarn that really appealed to me. I only wish I had more money so I could have gotten some of the yarn I saw there. I did get some beautiful yarns (pictures to follow!), but I couldn't quite justify the absolutely beautiful Swans Island (100% organic merino), even though I wanted to buy out their entire stock. I did, however, take the information for this yarn, and when I am able, I will be getting some of it. Just gorgeous!

The yarn I did buy, though, is not just stash yarn. I've got plans for this stuff, y'know! First, there was some Madeleine Tosh. I've never bought Tosh before, though I've looked at it. I don't make socks, so it never occured to me that you could make shawls or fine scarves with it. So I got four skeins in two colourways to make a scarf. In the store, one looked like burnished gold, and the other a cobalt blue. But when I got them home, the blue looked more purple, but I think it's going to work anyway.
I think these will work well together. I'm looking forward to working with this yarn.

I also bought some Shibui Silk Cloud which is 60% mohair and 40% silk. It is a rich cranberry colour, and alas, there was only one skein left. However, after talking with the ladies, one of them said that she had two skeins that she was planning on exchanging. We exchanged information and she's going to check her stash, and if the dye lots match, she'll contact me and I'll buy it off her.
I am hoping that we have a match, since I will need the extra yardage for what I'm planning on doing with this yarn. And the picture doesn't do the colour justice.

Everyone at the shop was friendly, the owner told me that if I lived in the area she'd offer me a part time job (!) which just made me laugh. I'd love to work in a yarn store, but I'm not sure how much of my paycheque I'd take home. Something tells me that my stash would increase exponentially.

It was a terrific experience at Forever Yarn. The addition to my stash is very pleasing and everyone at the store was friendly and welcoming. I'm looking forward to a return trip at next year's reunion.

Forever Yarns, 15 W. Oakland Ave, Doylestown, PA  18901
215-348-5648

No comments:

Post a Comment