This is mostly a knitting blog. Sometimes pictures of things I've made, sometimes not. I'm a guy who knits, I usually attend a men's stitch 'n' bitch on Monday nights, and I prefer natural fibres to artificial ones. I have a love-hate relationship with bamboo yarns: I love what they can do and how they look, I hate how they are made. I've been knitting since about 2003, though I really didn't get into it until 2005, while convelescing with a broken leg. I must have discovered something good, 'cause I'm still knitting years later.

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Toe In the Water: A Return to My Blog

Well, hello. It's been a while. Sorry about that. I was busy knitting. I fell in love with a pattern, and by the fifth iteration of it, I had fallen quite out of love with it. I still need to finish that fifth iteration, and make two more. I hate to think of knitting as penance for my sins, but there you are. Sometimes that's exactly what it is.

In the last seven or so months that I've been away from this blog, I visited the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Festival in May; I bought many gorgeous yarns, and passed even more by, since I was on a limited budget. I've enjoyed New Orleans Pride, Southern Decadence, and am planning a trip to Boston for a bat mitzvah later this month. My yarn stash has increased, despite my attempts to knit my stash, which has been an abysmal failure, I got defriended on Facebook by two people for whom I was making hats (nothing I did or said, I think they were just cleaning up their friends' lists of people they'd never met in real life, but I'll never know, will I? I'm not taking it personally. Well, yes I am, fuck them with a steak knife, but I struggle to be all Zen about it). I've already given one of the hats away, and am currently looking for a recipient of the other hat. Not everyone I know is yarn worthy. Life has had triumphs and set backs, like all lives.

I have been working on the Dragon Scale pattern. I've done it in Baah's London Blue. I've done it in Mad Color Fiber's Land of Oz green. I've done it in Zen Garden's red. I've done it in Mad Color Fiber's Amethyst. I'm currently doing it in Madline Tosh's Blood Run Cold, which is a gorgeous red, and is the only one that isn't merino, since this line is in Blue Face Leicester. I'm struggling with this last one, since I'm a bit bored of the pattern. I find that when I actually knit it , I sort of enjoy it (except for the purled backside), but I'm unable to work up some enthusiasm about it. But two or three more repeats of the pattern, and I should be done. That's a mercy.

Here's a picture of me talking to a llama at the NHS&WF, May, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment